| First Things to Do After Landing in Canada as a Permanent Resident| Most Important | My Story |

I recently landed in Canada as a Permanent Resident. I am sharing some important ‘First Things To Do’ once we land as a Permanent Resident.

→ Completing Landing Formalities at Airport 

Once we land, we will be guided to various counters. We will have to show our passport, CoPR(Confirmation of Permanent Residence), authorisation letter(AL) for travel, quarantine plan, Covid19 negative test certificate etc. (I am writing this during Covid19 era, hence the references to quarantine plan, AL, test certificate etc. Normally these things are not there). They will ask us the address where we are quarantining, the amount for which Proof of Fund was given during the application and also the address to which the PR card has to be dispatched. I gave my friend’s address as I was on temporary stay at AirBNB. We also have to show the details filled in the ArriveCAN mobile application. Before exiting the airport, we had to do a Covid19 test too. It is free. They do not charge for this. 

→ Get a Canadian SIM / Mobile Number 

Taking a Canadian Mobile Number is one of the most important and first step to do once you land in Canada. This is important as we have to give our mobile number while registering for Covid19 testing and for the authorities to check on us during the Quarantine period. Also, while on the job search, it is very important to have a Canadian number to show your local availability in Canada. While taking a new bank account too, mobile number is required. I however took the mobile number after the Covid19 testing as my existing mobile number was on International roaming. A new mobile number can be taken from the airport itself. I took my sim from Pearson International Airport. The service provider was Chatr Mobile. It was very easy take the new sim. I gave my passport and AirBNB booking address as supporting documents. I took Chatr as suggested by my friend as other service providers required Credit score and many more supporting documents. Chatr plans start from $35 per month to $55 per month. I took a $45 dollar plan which has unlimited calling within Canada and 6 GB data. Top up can be done monthly using MyChatr mobile app or through the website. 

→ Get a SIN number 

We can apply for SIN online if we have a residence proof. However, I was on a temporary stay and did not have a residence proof. So I visited the Service Canada centre in person. I went to Toronto College Street. They gave a form to fill. We have to write down our Full Name, Parent’s name and Parent’s Date of Birth in that. They will ask for Passport and CoPR. The staff is very friendly and we will get the SIN number in less than 10 minutes once we are at the counter. However, there is a significant wait time till we reach the counter as Covid protocols are followed very strictly and only limited people are allowed inside at a go. 

→ Take a Bank Account 

Taking the bank account was also simple. Here also the staff was very friendly. I chose to take the account with TD bank. We have to give our passport, CoPR, current address, mobile number etc. for opening an account. In addition, SIN number is to be given. So it is to be noted, we have to first take the SIN number before going to the bank. Also, there are lot of documents to be signed for taking the bank account. These are basically terms and conditions related to the type of account we are taking. I took an unlimited chequing account and a savings account. As a PR, there are no charges for this for the first 6 months. In addition, I took a credit card for $1000 limit, an over draft eligibility for $300 and also a cheque book. Credit Card an Cheque book will take around 10 working days to reach. Since, I didn’t have a permanent address, I chose to collect the credit card and cheque book from from bank’s branch itself. 

→ Take the Provincial Health Insurance Plan (OHIP in Ontario)

 I plan to stay in Toronto,Ontario. So I have to enrol for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). Here are also, I gave my passport for proof of identity, CoPR as proof of landing status and lease rental agreement for proof of residence in Ontario. To complete the formalities for OHIP, we have to go to a Service Ontario Centre. I went to Dundas West Centre. It is important to note that, without a proof of residence in Ontario, we will not get the OHIP registered. I first went to Service Ontario before taking a home on lease. I had only a temporary stay address which was of my AirBNB booking. It was not accepted. Later, I took a home on lease and went with that lease agreement. OHIP registration was then done immediately. 

Hope this article was useful to you. Please feel free to ask any queries you might have. I will be more than happy to help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 5 Stocks That Made Money For Me During the Covid19 Season.

| Earning While Staying At Home | Stock Market Trading As A Full Time Option | My Thoughts Shared In Fundfolio Breakout Discord Channel|